Helping Elvis! Update...
Elvis came to the shelter with a broken pelvis and fractured leg. He is to the point now that he...
Postage Stamps !
Yes, we still send snail mail and are always in need of stamps. We can use stamps for mailing...
Open House and Ribbon...
Who We Are
We are a small shelter in Columbus, Indiana serving the Bartholomew County area. Established in 1966 as a memorial for a local child, our support comes from individual and membership donations and from contractual kenneling services. We have a staff of 5 dedicated workers and several volunteers to care for nearly 200 animals each day. Our active board of directors represent a cross section of the community.
The mission of the Bartholomew County Humane Society is to provide humane support, care, shelter, and medical attention to abandoned and homeless animals, to place adoptable animals in permanent homes, and to promote education for responsible pet ownership.
Show your support for the Humane Society by making a secure donation to the BCHS; click the button below to begin!
Your donation will help us pay for these needs:
- High quality food
- Heartworm treatment
- Teeth cleaning for older animals
- Special medical needs such as injuries, malnutrition
- Orphaned animal care
- Serious grooming neglect, matted coats, ingrown toenails
Have a question or want to visit? We are located at:
Bartholomew County Humane Society
4110 E. 200S.
Columbus, Indiana 47201
(812) 372-6063read more
- Provide sheltering services for county strays and injured or abandoned animals
- Provide placement for owned pet animals through a listing service
- Seek quality permanent homes for pet adoptions
- Help enforce animal control laws
- Maintain a high adoption shelter
- Network with regional shelters to place animals
- Educate the public about responsible pet ownership
- Offer pet cemetery burials
Throughout the day, we are asked several types of questions about the Humane Society, its staff, and the services we provide. For you Titans of Trivia, here are some new factoids to add to your knowledge banks:
- The Humane society has served Bartholomew County since 1966.
- We handle just under 1300 animals annually.
- To prepare an animal for adoptions costs an average of $153 for a dog and around $114 for a cat.
- Our adoptions fee is only $115 — What a bargain! We also have a “Monthly Special” that reduces that adoption fee even further!
- If you find a friend that has been at the shelter over a year, the adoption fee is FREE, pay only the $20 application fee.
- Our regular volunteers include home schooled students, high school project students; senior, retired, and working adults, developmentally challenged adults.
- We have a staff of 2 full-time and 3 part-time employees to care for over 100 animals daily.
- We have moved into our new shelter!